I’m not ready for the Oscars. It happens every year. I think I am going to at least see all the best picture nominees and I end up spending my free evenings leading up to the big show binge watching Brooklyn 99 or House of Cards. Fail.
After I see “Her” today I will have made it through six of the nine nominees, also including “Dallas Buyers Club,” “American Hustle,” “Nebraska,” “The Wolf of Wall Street,” and “Gravity.”
Of what I’ve seen so far I think “Nebraska” or “Dallas Buyers Club” should win, but “Gravity” will. But it could all be rigged anyway. Someone with power stopped “Don Jon” from being nominated, so what does that tell you? I also learned today that the best picture decision is based on the voters ranking their favorites compared to just picking one, which they do with the other categories.
Clearly I’ve been awake for a while working on my Oscars pregame, so here are some things you can do to get ready and pass the time:
1. There is a lot of buzz about the contest between Matthew McConaughey and Leonardo DiCaprio for best actor. McConaughey is having his moment, but DiCaprio has been in it for a long time. If you haven’t seen McConaughey’s recent work, try “Mud” and just watch something, anything, with Leonardo DiCaprio in it. I am team Leo.
2. Go to Grantland.com and stay there. I enjoy their critics’ reviews and podcasts and please, if you finish everything about the Oscars, try the reality tv offerings. You won’t be disappointed.
3. Watch old movies that won an Oscar.
4. Five words: Independent Spirit Awards. Patton Oswalt.
5. Put on something fancy and fill out your Oscar ballot.
Happy Sunday, and as my favorite lady Grace Helbig says, “I don’t know.”